Monday 22 December 2014

Book Review: Noggin - John Corey Whaley

Side note: The cover I had for this book was far less terrifying and disturbing 

Noggin follows 16 year old, Travis Coates who is diagnosed with leukemia. Travis chooses to have his head "chopped off and shoved into a freezer" in the hope of having it re attached to a healthy body in the future. 

Once Travis is attached to the muscly and athletic body of Jeremy Pratt five years later, he must return home and face the fame that comes along with being a 'medical miracle' as well as coming face to face with his ex girlfriend Cate, who is engaged to another man. It is not only Travis who has changed but so has the reality he had left behind five years ago.

Whaley created an extremely bold and imaginative plot that was extremely different to traditional young adult novels. That being said with such an interesting and inventive plot I really wanted more out of this novel.

'Noggin' was one of those books I couldn't put down for about the first half of the novel, then retired to my bedside table for about 3 months until I decided to pick it back up. I was extremely emotionally invested in the novel for the first half then, basically it just became painful to read.

Loss and moving on is a central theme in the novel and Whaley did not shy away from emphasizing that. Straight up I cannot handle people bitching and moaning about ex partners in real life let alone fiction. If I had to read another line about how Travis was going to win back Cate, I was going to ring someones neck. Whaley's writing is exquisite and pleasurable to read, however it was eclipsed by the excess of whining.

I much more enjoyed reading about Travis' adventures with Hatton and Kyle, whom I thoroughly enjoyed the character development of, however there was very little of that. From something that started out so intriguing it turned into a whiny, repetitive mess that was slow and not pleasurable to read.

Rating:   ★  

No comments:

Post a Comment